Monday, July 16, 2012

Ireland Trip Part 3...Bunratty Castle and Folk Park

Our first adventure was to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park.  This castle was maybe 20 minutes from our hotel so it was a good choice for the husband, who was still getting the hang of driving on the wrong side of the road from the wrong side of the car.  After a bumpy start the day before, we now had a GPS and were good to go!

There is a long history at this site, but the present castle structure was rebuilt in 1425.  This was my first experience with castle "stumble" steps, and I can tell you honestly that I hate castle steps!  They are called stumble steps because that's what they were designed to do...stumble enemies that tried to run up them.  They are narrow, spiral, and all different heights!  So I walked like a 100-year-old woman up and down these steps, while Michael ran.  Show-off.

They didn't allow flash photography inside the castle, and it was too dim for me to get many pictures.  However, I took a few in the Folk Park, which is a 19th century village outside the castle.  I love thatched roofs! Bunratty was one of the nicer castles we visited, and the village was really cool too.  I would highly recommend this to anyone traveling to Ireland.  Lots to see in one place!

The Castle

Me at the top

One of the cute houses in the village.

Church tower

No comments:

Post a Comment