Friday, November 11, 2011

Texas is one of 50 states

So today is Veterans' Day and we had a little program at school this morning.  They were playing some patriotic music before the program started, as the kids were coming in and getting breakfast.  One of the kids that I had last year came up to me and asked me if I liked that music.  I said, "Of course I do, I am proud to be American."  She then asked me where I was born and when I told her I was born in Kansas she exclaimed, "You are not an American!"

Good grief. 

I then explained to her that Kansas is a state in the United States of America, just like Texas is a state.  She then asked me where Kansas is located, and I explained that.  She then looked at me with a straight face and said, "That's why you have that accent.  You have an accent."  And she walked away.

Really?!  When I first moved to Texas I was asked all the time where I was from because I wasn't twangy like everyone else in East Texas.  Not long after I would go back home and be told how "country" I sounded.  So I think I am stuck in accent limbo.  In Kansas I sound like a hick now, and here I still get called "Yankee" from time-to-time by adults and now kids.  I just can't win. 

1 comment:

  1. hahaha, you poor thing! I'm sorry, but this is just TOO funny! You're so unAmerican, coming from anywhere other than Texas! haahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete