Monday, January 16, 2012

Dinner and a Movie

The husband and I both had today off (MLK holiday) so we surprised ourselves and were spontaneous on a Sunday night!  I got home from what I jokingly call my "second job" (which is doing makeup for the diva birthday parties some local photographers hold) and asked him if he wanted to go to a movie...and he actually said yes.  We are boring people who rarely go to movies together, so I was super excited!  We went to dinner first at Chuy's, and I have decided that it's not all that great.  People raved and raved about that place, and now I have eaten there twice and have yet to be blown away by the food or service.  Then we went to see "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  I have read all the books and have seen all the Swedish films, and wanted to give the US version a chance to knock my socks off.  Unfortunately, I don't think it was much different or any better than the Swedish version.  True, I didn't have to read subtitles and Daniel Craig is a much nicer looking Mikael Blomkvist than the other guy is.  But I think the Swedish film was just fine and this US version really didn't need to be made.  It's kind of like "Let Me In"...I saw the Swedish version first and it was just as good.  Anyway, I was also wanting to see the movie because Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross wrote the score, and if you know anything about me you know that Trent can almost do no wrong in my eyes.  The music was a great fit with the movie and overall I did like it.  But if I had to choose a version that was my favorite...it would be the foreign film.  Hands down.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand the excitement of a simple dinner and movie night! I haven't read the book yet, so I'm going to wait to see the movie. Did you like the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved all 3 books! I definitely recommend them. :)

      Delete