Saturday, March 24, 2012

Political Rant...I guess.

So it's been almost a month since I have posted anything.  I have been busy at school getting ready for the first round of STAAR testing.  The testing situation in Texas is utterly ridiculous and has gotten worse with the implementation of STAAR.  Since so much rides on the results of this one test, classrooms across the state are now basically just teaching test-prep.  The subjects that aren't tested don't get the attention and time spent on teaching them that they should.  It's my opinion that this does cause the students not to get the well-rounded education that they deserve.  I won't spend hours and hours ranting about all of this, instead I will just ask Texans to register to vote, and then find out who will be for bettering public education, funding it properly, and vote for them.  (If you live in the Cherokee County area, do NOT vote for Robert Nichols.  He voted for all the horrible changes that cost education its funding and teachers their jobs.  Chuck Hopson may be a Republican, but he stands up for public education.  And for goodness sake, no one should re-elect Rick Perry! Ever.)

I had intended this blog post to be just an update on what's been happening in our lives, but obviously it took a turn.  So I will leave it at this. Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I approve of your advocacy for education for ALL! I'm sure there was a good motive behind the testing, but it was obviously not thought through if it is leading to this situation with only the test subjects being taught, or at least more so than the others. I hope that the person who is elected will make the necessary changes--keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete