Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Entertainment

Every Friday I have my kids "free write" in their journals, which means they can write about whatever their heart desires. Then I give them an opportunity to share if they would like.  I hear lots of made up stories (I especially enjoyed one about killer chickens that was continued in a new "chapter" each week), lots of what kids are going to do over the weekend, and one year I had a kid who would write just random sentences about Lady Gaga and pickles.  Well today I had two boys write down the lyrics to some song I have never heard in my life called "Marie Laveau" and they sang their little hearts out.  Journal free write day is never boring.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is getting so fancy with these fonts! I love it. Your kids are so wonderful, I love it. Lady Gaga and pickles! haha. I remember doing this in fifth grade and enjoying it so much. Although, we didn't have a choice, every child HAD to read out loud what they wrote, and I appreciated that b/c it helped me come out of my shell. I never would have volunteered, but it increased my self esteem b/c I was a pretty good writer and the kids all enjoyed what I wrote. I think that was what made me want to be a writer when I grew up. Thank God for teachers like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make them share their compositions on assigned topics, but the journals I think should be a choice because I don't want to keep them from writing something personal if they need to get it off their mind. I think if they were forced to share some of them would just write generic stuff. I have also found that as the year progresses, the shy kids will often start wanting to share now and then. It's really cool.

      Delete