Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You?

As you are more than well aware, it is the 10th anniversary of the horrific attacks that took place on September 11, 2001.  I still remember where I was when I learned of the plane crashing into the World Trade Center.  It was my last semester of college and I was student teaching in first grade at Sunflower Elementary School in Andover, Kansas.  Classes started at 8:30 a.m. CST, so when I arrived shortly after 8:00 that morning, my cooperating teacher had gotten wind that something major was going on and had turned on the news on the tv in the classroom.  I could hardly believe what we were seeing.  It was all very surreal.  Of course the kids started to arrive so we had to shut the tv off and act as normal as we could.  When the kids were at lunch or at activity, the news was back on and everyone was glued to it.  The mood among the entire faculty was very somber.  It's a day I will never forget.

Where were you on 9/11?

1 comment:

  1. I was at the fair because I was in Scientology back then and we set up a book booth every year at the fair. The lady in the booth next to me was crying because she had friends that worked in the twin towers. I really didn't get how big a deal this was until I got home that night and turned on the news and then the enormity of what had happened slammed me.

    ReplyDelete