Saturday, September 3, 2011

Oh Happy Day!

This past March I went to Kansas for Spring Break and brought back an antique pump organ that was taking up too much space in my parents' house.  I already had a spot picked out for it in my living room.  But, when I got it in the house, the top piece was just  a smidge too tall to fit where I wanted it.  So we had to put it against another wall and the room began to feel very cramped.  We have a moisture problem with two of our walls and I didn't want the organ to get moisture damage, so there was only one place to put it. ( But as of 5 minutes ago, I have ordered a dehumidifier and hope that helps with the problem...and my allergies!  That's one of the downsides to having a windowless living room and not running the a/c at night or during the day when we're at work...horrible basement-like conditions.)

Anyway, the hubs and I tossed around the idea for a few months about getting rid of the shelf that was causing the organ not to fit where we wanted it.  We were afraid it might look really stupid.  But we woke up bright and early today and hacked that shelf off.  Then I painted all the shelves and the wall.  The organ fits perfectly and I am super-happy with the results!  See for yourself:
This is what it looked like after we cut the shelf.  You can see the brown line where it used to be.
This is the organ in its new home.  Our living room feel much more open now!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! It looks like that space was MADE for the organ, and in a way it kinda was. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete